Saturday, November 7, 2009

The prophets

Tomorrow I will present something on the prophets. We have already introduced them through the book blocks. I have prepared several scrolls here, here, hereand here. We will probably start with the Shema - sung and then go to finding letters one at a time in the image of Zephaniah 3:8 - it depends on who comes. Zephaniah 3:8 contains all the letters of the alef-bet. Who knows we may sing that song too.

I expect to approach the prophet as mediator, go-between for God and his people. Then each of the prophetic calls and chosen verses will reveal something of how God approached his people. I think also I will start with Samuel and Jeremiah both of whom are 'lads' - likely not older than my students. Then we will see how each prophet's call and perhaps selected verses tell us something about what a prophet is. I am not sure how long this will take - likely I have more material than I should have. I think I will make some rolled pastry that the children can eat in imitation of Ezekiel (but I will not make Ezekiel bread). My sweet will not be bitter in the stomach.

I got me flowers to strew thy way;
I got me boughs off many a tree:
But thou wast up by break of day,
And brought'st thy sweets along with thee. 

No comments: